Best Ping Pong Table of 2018: Complete Reviews with Comparison
Ping pong is a really fun game to play, but, finding the best ping pong table is not too fun.
There are a wide variety of brands and models to select from, which can be very overwhelming.
This is especially true when you start looking at the different features that each table has.
If you are a beginner looking for your first ping pong table, you probably feel confused and frustrated. But we have good news.
You really don’t want to sift through the hundreds of models available on the market, so we have done it for you instead, finding the 5 best ping pong table options for personal use or for your club.
We have also outlined the must-have features and answers to your questions at the end of this article. Read on if you would like to find the perfect ping pong table for you.
Top 5 Ping Pong Tables Comparison Chart
Best Ping Pong Table Reviews
1. STIGA Advantage Indoor Table Tennis Table
If you are looking for a ping pong table that can be used for both competition practicing and recreational playing, this table has everything you need.
This indoor table is competition ready, full size 9 x 5 foot table that is ideal for your home or office. The table boasts a 10 minute QuickPlay system, allowing you to set it up in next to no time. It is 95% preassembled when it arrives.
You can easily transport and store this table thanks to its folding halves and 3-inch casters.
The table has a 5/8 inch thick top with silk screen striping and a multiple roller coat finish. You can attach and remove the 72-inch tournament-grade net thanks to the clamp style post and net set.
- Competition-ready indoor table tennis table perfect for your home or office
- 10-minute QuickPlay design comes 95% preassembled out of the box for quick and easy setup
- Effortlessly roll and transport table halves using 3" lockable casters for convenient storage and setup
- Excellent playability with 5/8"-thick table top with multiple roller coat finish and silk-screen striping
- Easily attach and remove net with tournament grade 72" clamp-style net and post set
What's to like about the STIGA Advantage Indoor Table Tennis Table
This ping pong table is very robust and solid. The wheels feel like they can actually support the weight of the table.
What's not to like about the STIGA Advantage Indoor Table Tennis Table
Unfortunately this table does not come with the paddles or balls. It also needs extra tools in order to assemble the table.
2. JOOLA Midsize Compact Table Tennis Table
If you want all of the fun of a fast-paced ping pong game, but do not have the space for a full size table, this JOOLA table is the ideal choice.
Each half of this table is an almost perfect square that can be used as multi-purpose tables when you are not using it for ping pong. The legs fold in, so the two halves can be put together and stored under your bed or in a closet. The storage dimensions are a compact 3 x 3 feet.
The table is regulation height and is ideal for smaller spaces such as basements, apartments, dorm rooms, and kid’s rooms. The table includes the easily attachable net and posts which have the classic clamp design. This table comes completely preassembled and measures 6 x 3 feet.
- JOOLA - AN OLYMPIC TABLE TENNIS BRAND TRUSTED FOR 60+ YEARS: Launched in the 1950s, JOOLA has been the proud sponsor of the biggest tournaments in the world, Including the Olympics, World Championships, and US Open. Equipment designed for all levels.
- MULTIPLE USE TABLES: Mult-purpose table halves are great for entertaining when not in play. Perfect for crafts, playing poker, boardgames or any other casino table game. Great table tennis equipment for kids and adults.
- NO HASSLE, QUICK SET-UP & COMPACT STORAGE: Midsize Table Tennis Table comes 100% preassembled. The 2 separate halves features legs which easily fold underneath like a card table. Easily stored in closets or under the bed. Storage dimensions: 36" x 36"
- REGULATION QUALITY: Standard table tennis table height with a smaller surface space perfect for compact areas like apartments, kid rooms, basements or dorm rooms. Feels like you're playing on a regulation-sized ping pong table at 2/3 the size.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: JOOLA listens and learns from your feedback to create top of the line quality table tennis equipment for kids & adults. If you're not 100% satisfied or have product suggestions our customer service team is available to help.
What's to like about the JOOLA Midsize Compact Table Tennis Table
This table is the regulation height, which means you can practice for competitions at home. It can also easily be used for family games night or as a dining room table.
What's not to like about the JOOLA Midsize Compact Table Tennis Table
Some users complained that the net posts are weak and can break if extra care is not taken. A few users mentioned that the screws that hold the legs in place were also stripped.
3. Kettler Outdoor Table Tennis Table
Want to bring the fun of ping pong outside on warm summer afternoons? This Kettler outdoor table has you covered.
This table has an anti-glare waterproof top made from aluminum with a patented ALU-TEC underside for climate control. This Kettler table is a regulation-size table measuring 9 x 5 feet and weighing 130 pounds.
This table can withstand high-impact, intense play thanks to its 2 inch thick galvanized, powder-coated steel frame which is rust and UV-resistant. The top is 7/8-inches thick and gives a tournament-quality bounce. The table has a dual lock to keep it in place when playing and can fold up to store with ease.
The Kettler table comes with 4.5 inch casters for easy transport. It also comes with 6 balls, 2 paddles, and an outdoor table cover. Plus, the table has a 2-year residential warranty or a 1-year commercial warranty.
- WATERPROOF DESIGN - Kettlers table tennis has a non-glare waterproof aluminum top and ALU-TEC climate control underside. ALU-TEC is Kettlers patented technology, protects against different weather conditions. Dimensions: 108 L x 60 W x 30 H inches / Weight: 130 pounds.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION - This German-made tennis table offers tournament-quality bounce that can withstand intense and high-impact play. It also has 2-inch powder coated, galvanized steel legs that are both UV and corrosion-resistant. Board Thickness: 0.87 inches.
- FOLDABLE AND SAFE - The table tennis board has a patented safety-fold dual lock to help avoid unintended opening or closing. When you want to practice alone, you can utilize the tables playback feature. Folded dimensions: 19.29 x 60 x 67 inches.
- CONVENIENT WITH FREE ACCESSORIES - The table tennis outdoor table is engineered with 4.5-inch dual-wheeled casters for convenient transport and storage. Axos 1 also comes with 2 Kettler Halo 5.0 paddles, a Kettler outdoor cover, and a 6-pack 3-star balls.
- DAZADI MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Your product will arrive with all the necessary parts, without defect and/or shipping damage. Well ship new replacement parts or an entirely new table for free. If you still arent satisfied, well give you a full refund. All our items ship for free to your door, but we also offer in-home delivery and assembly for an added fee. Warranty: 2-Year Residential/1-Year Commercial Warranty. Repair or replacement is available during this period at no cost to the purchaser.
What's to like about the Kettler Outdoor Table Tennis Table
This table is a regulation size with a regulation bounce, allowing you to practice with accuracy. Plus, the safety fold mechanism allows you to fold up one side for gapless solo play.
What's not to like about the Kettler Outdoor Table Tennis Table
This table requires assembly that can take a couple of hours and the manual is not very clear. Some users also reported that the net needs to be removed to store it, which is a pain.
4. Butterfly Junior ¾ Size Table Tennis Table
This ping pong table is ¾ the size of a normal table, so it is perfect for homes and offices when a full size regulation table will be too large.
This table is ¾ the size of a 9 x 5 foot regulation table. It can also be used as a dining room table or a games table. It measures 7 x 4 feet, so it can easily fit into most homes. The table comes fully assembled – simply unfold the legs, attach the net with the butterfly clamp, and get playing.
Each half of the table weighs 35 pounds and has wheels to make transport easy. This mid-size table is great to learn on as it is slightly larger than a compact table. This table also comes with a 3-year warranty, which speaks to the quality build.
- FOLDABLE PING PONG TABLE - 3/4 size of a regulation table tennis table - 81" L x 45" W x 30" H
- NO ASSEMBLY & NET INCLUDED: Ships fully assembled with a free net set
- EASY TO PLAY - Slightly larger than a mid size table making it easier to keep the ball in play
- PORTABLE TABLE TENNIS TABLE - Each half weighs 35 lbs, folds, and contains 2 wheels on the inside.
- GAME TABLES - This table can also be used for other functions, such as card games
What's to like about the Butterfly Junior ¾ Size Table Tennis Table
The table top is protected by corner pieces and a strong steel frame. The top is available in green or blue. The table needs no assembly and the net is the same height as a regulation net.
What's not to like about the Butterfly Junior ¾ Size Table Tennis Table
This compact ping pong table top is only half an inch thick, which accounts for its light weight, but can make it a bit flimsy in high speed play.
5. Dazadi Harvil Outsider Table Tennis Table
If you want a table that comes with all the accessories needed to get started right away, this Harvil table will be set up and ready to go in just 30 minutes.
Setting up this table is very simple and quick and can be done with just two people. The table is quite weighty, giving it stability and durability. The table has two halves which are easy to move and store.
The table top is 5/8 inch thick and very smooth, providing a good, consistent bounce. The table is made from high quality materials, making it sturdy and robust. The wheels are lockable, ensuring the table stays together when you are playing.
The table comes with a net, balls, paddles, an accessory bag, and a cover. This Harvil table also comes with a 1-year money-back warranty.
- PERFECT FOR OUTDOOR USE - The Harvil Outsider Table Tennis Table has a weather-proof, aluminum tabletop thats supported diagonally by a powder-coated steel frame. Assembled dimensions: 108 L x 60 W x 30 H inches/ Storage position: 61.5 L x 23.6 W x 63.5 H inches/ Table top: 60 L x 54 W x 0.24 inches thick/ Weight: 147.67 pounds
- PORTABLE and COMPACT - Equipped with sturdy, easy to lock and unlock wheels that provide both stability and mobility. This ping pong table can also be folded for playback and for convenient storage.
- VIBRANT PING PONG TABLE TOP - White vibrant lines on the playing surface effectively outlines the boundaries for easy play. Includes Table Tennis net and post. Racket and ball set sold separately.
- MANUFACTURER WARRANTY - Your table will arrive with all the necessary parts, without defect and/or shipping damage. Well ship new replacement parts or an entirely new table at no cost in the event of defect or damage. If you still arent satisfied, youll get a full refund. We also offer in-home delivery and assembly for an added fee. In the 1-year warranty period, we will repair or replace defective parts at no cost to the purchaser.
- DESIGNED AND ENGINEERED BY HARVIL - All Harvil items are designed and engineered by creative people right here in the USA. We are a family business and we design our products to be enjoyed by family and friends. Even though many of these items are manufactured in Asia, we are proud to have Americans who understand Americans needs bringing our items to life.
What's to like about the Dazadi Harvil Outsider Table Tennis Table
This Harvil table comes with eight balls and four paddles as well as an accessory storage bag. Plus, it comes with a cover to protect the surface of the ping pong table.
What's not to like about the Dazadi Harvil Outsider Table Tennis Table
The table does not have adjustable legs, which is not a problem if you are playing on an even surface but can be detrimental if the floor is a bit uneven.
Before you rush out to buy a ping pong table, there are a few features you need to consider and some questions that need to be answered so you can make an informed decision. This is vital as it will make the decision-making process a lot simpler. The following are the features to look at when you are on your search.
Types of Table Tennis Tables
The main two types of table tennis tables – tournament and recreational – and they are both exactly what they sound like. Tournament tables are used in competitions and are built to a certain size and standard, using specific materials. A recreational table is for use at home and can be just about any size and can be built with different materials.
You can also get an indoor and an outdoor table. Competitive table tennis is played on indoor tables which are not built to withstand exposure to the elements. These tables are ideal for use in game rooms, garages, and recreational halls.
Outdoor tables are built to be sturdier and can withstand damage and warping from the sun and the wind. They normally have a steel frame or concrete undercarriage. Most outdoor tables are costlier than indoor tables due to them being more resistant to the elements.
Table Top Thickness
One of the main factors to look for in a great ping pong table is the table top’s thickness. The table top’s thickness is the main thing that affects the bounce performance, second only to the material used. It is recommended that you never get a table that is less than 5/8 inches (15.875 millimeters) thick.
The reason for this is that the thinner the table, the less consistent the bounce. Additionally, ping pong tables that are 7/8 inches (22.23 millimeters) thick are ideal for tournaments and clubs and are very durable if you have kids or teenagers using the table.
Another important feature that you need to look for when considering ping pong tables is the strength of the frame. Always look for a steel frame over an aluminum frame as it is more durable and will last longer. Most manufacturers use powder-coated steel frames to avoid rusting.
Before purchasing a ping pong table, look at its structure, focusing on its capacity strength with regard to heavy-duty support and weight load. This will ensure maximum support even if one of the players falls onto the table during a fast-paced game.
Safety is a major concern when looking at any large, weighty product like a ping pong table. You want to ensure that the table top can easily hold a higher weight on it.
The table should also have a safety lock system to keep the different parts of the table where they should be when you are playing. The wheels should also have a wheel lock to ensure that the table can’t slide or move.
Ping pong tables can weigh anywhere from 60 to 180 pounds, depending on the materials used to construct the table. A steel frame adds quite a bit of weight as does a melamine and aluminum top. The size of the table also contributes to its overall weight.
The general rule of thumb is the thicker the apron, the stronger the table. If you know that your kids may climb on the table, or you have teenagers who may get a bit too boisterous and fall or lean on the table, a thicker apron will prevent the table from bending and warping.
Most ping pong tables have both wheels and legs. The legs are made to ensure the table is steady and even when you are playing, while the wheels are used when moving the table around. It is important to check the diameter of the legs to make sure that they are able to support the weight of the table.
The legs should be built out of steel for durability and stability. The wheels should also have locks to keep the table still when you are playing. Some tables also have adjustable legs, so you can play on uneven surfaces. Ensure that the leg locks are strong and sturdy.
Net and Post
A stationary net indicates that the ping pong table has been well engineered and that it will last a long time. Generally, a table that has stationary net posts is guaranteed to be more reliable and stable that those on any other table type.
Stationary posts are the brackets that are used to hold the net in place. This means that you are getting a well-positioned feature that you don’t have to set up every time.
There are a wide number of brands available on the market. While brand does not necessarily dictate the quality of the table, it is best to stick with manufacturer’s that have been around for a while, such as STIGA, JOOLA, Butterfly, and Kettler. However, brands such as Dazadi have only been around for about 15 years, but still make excellent products.
Ping Pong Tables F.A.Q.
Which ping pong table should I choose?
The ping pong table you choose is based on the amount of space you have, what you intend to use it for, and where you want to use it. If you are practicing for tournaments, you need a regulation size indoor table that can fit in a cool, dry space like your basement or garage.
If you are just using it recreationally in your dorm, you can use a smaller table. If you want to play outside, space is not normally an issue, but you need a table that can withstand the elements.
How much space do you need for a ping pong table?
One of the big considerations is where you will place your ping pong table, because the playing area size will determine the size of table you can get. Ping pong tables don’t all come with exactly the same dimensions. A regulation size ping pong table is 9 x 5 feet, or 2.74 x 1.5 meters.
To play recreationally with a regulation table, you need a space that is 18 x 10 feet, or 5.5 x 3 meters. If you have purchased the table to train, you need more space, around 39 x 19 feet, or 12 x 6 meters so you can really move around to get your shots. Before you purchase a table, check that it can fit in the designated area and that there is room to play.
How to set up a ping pong table?
- Clear a space to set up your ping pong table
- Remove the table from the box
- Connect the legs to the table
- Install the ping pong table’s net
- Bring out the paddles and enjoy playing
What are ping pong tables made of?
Ping pong tables are typically made from one of three different materials: wood, melamine, or aluminum. Let’s take a look at each.
This is the most common material used to make ping pong tables, both indoor and outdoor. However, it is mostly used with indoor tables and the wood can warp when exposed to temperature changes, humidity, or moisture over time.
Outdoor tables are made using plywood and have protective materials to make sure it can withstand any environmental stressors and changes. Tournament tables are made out of wood that is processed in a certain way to meet official standards.
This material is used only for outdoor tables. Rather than using pressed wood, the melamine is combined with resin to create a hard surface. Using this material allow the table to be made thinner while retaining the bounce rebound required for a good game.
Often times, melamine tables will also receive a coat of other materials that provide extra protection against the elements.
This material is used only for outdoor tables and is never the exclusive material used for the table. It is meant to give wood and melamine tables a protective, weatherproof shield.
Aluminum is naturally rust-resistant and forms an effective barrier between the elements and the table. This ensures that the table will not rot or warp. It is important to note that the aluminum alone does not protect the table, and the quality of the table’s seal is a huge contributor.
How to clean a ping pong table?
Start by wiping the table with a soft cloth to remove dust and other debris. Mix 2 cups of water with half a cup of white vinegar. Remove the net from the table. Dip a soft cloth in the vinegar water and wring it out. Wipe down the table using the damp cloth.
Dry the table using a soft, dry cloth. Soak the net in the vinegar water for around 15 minutes. Remove the net and lay it on a flat surface to dry. Put the net back on the table when it is dry.
It is important to note that ping pong tables are not all created the same. When you want to purchase the best table, you need to consider a few factors before you make your choice.
With the wide number of tables available on the market, finding the ping pong table that meets your needs can be difficult and time consuming. We have taken the main considerations, such as quality, features, and size, and created this list of best ping pong tables, weighing both their pros and cons.
After looking at all the offerings and features, our top recommendation is the STIGA Advantage Indoor Table Tennis Table because it is easy and quick to assemble and move while being very compact to store. The table is built to the highest quality, the net height is ideal, and the legs are adjustable.